Question About Setting Octaves in the High Treble

Bec and John Silva bjsilva001 at comcast.net
Thu May 4 18:13:02 MDT 2006

Hi Robert,

You talk about the "correct" stretch. There are varying ideas as to
the amount of stretch octaves might need. Some people may have
recommendations that will undoubtedly help you, but it will be hard
to avoid adding in their own particular preference. I think the
highest (and the lowest notes on a small piano) are the hardest to
learn to tune, it's about learning to hear and using whatever method
to hear what you want. It's not necessarily about getting the
"correct" stretch, it's about making the piano sound nice.

Personally, except for the temperament I only compare octaves
throughout the entire keyboard. I used to compare various intervals
as I was taught, but I found I could tune using just the octaves
better and produce a better result. My goal is not to tune any
particular partial, but to quote some others on the list, I tune the
"whole" note.

Not sure if that helps :)

- John