Hearing Loss and Piano Tuning

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri May 5 10:48:00 MDT 2006

At 10:40 AM 5/5/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Robert,
>
>That's been a worry of mine also. In fact, I already have slight ringing
>in my ears back from the days when I played keyboards/piano in bands
>(church bands, but they were loud enough, anyway). After tuning a piano, I
>notice that the rining is worse for a while, so hearing protection is
>something I should look into also.
>
>The last time I went to a PTG meeting, they talked a bit about that. One
>of the guys said that if you have a good set of ear plugs, one made
>specifically for protecting musicians ears, that it makes hearing the
>beats easier because a lot of background noise is eliminated. I do not
>have enough personal experience to back that up, though.
>
>Sam Choy

That was probably me.  I've been using earplugs since before I was tuning
pianos and have been using the "Musicians" plugs for almost ten years
now.  I compare earplugs to wearing sunglasses outside on a bright winter
day with a fresh snow. Do you see better?

Call it dealing with sensory overload.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.