Steingraeber factory pictures, bridge agraffes & adjustable vertical hitchpins

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri May 5 13:47:39 MDT 2006

Hi Stephen

Excellent post as usual.  I had started another one with another slant
on this but I think I'll let that lie.  I will say however I am still
interested in knowing whether or not a string (isolated from the piano)
as mentioned in my last post, would vibrate longer if kept (assuming
thats possible) vibrating in the vertical direction longer.

It might also be interesting to double check one of Weinrichs
assumptions... that it is the impedance differences in the directions of
soundboard vibration that account for the change in vibrational
direction of the string and not the bridge pin arrangement per se.   Run
a  string over and couple it to some mass via a traditional bridge pin
arrangment that essentially presents an absolute impedance to the string
and see how its vibrational pattern compares to the soundboard coupled
string.  I know what is to be expected... but maybe there would be a
suprise waiting in the wax.

Cheers
RicB