Hearing Loss and Piano Tuning

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Fri May 5 14:37:44 MDT 2006

KeyKat88 at aol.com wrote:
> Greetings,
>
>        I have a set of musician's ear plugs. THey /do/ let you hear
> the beats while tuning, but they also muffle the other fainter
> vibrations. I could get used to them for tuning, I have tried but I
> like hearing the beats out right. And, no, musicuan's earplugs do not
> enable you to hear beats better than natural hearing, they actually
> muffle alittle. I prefer to tune without them.
>
> Julia Gottshall
> Reading, PA
Julia, at the risk of sounding like your parent:

You had better find a set of plugs that you're comfortable with that
knock down the sound pressure level at least 15db..5 and 10db do not
offer enough protection.

You've asked alot of questions here regarding improving your skills, and
that's all well and perfectly acceptable here. We're also telling you
that it is important to your longevity in the field to get use to
wearing ear plugs.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)