Ethics question, a different tack

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri May 5 17:19:25 MDT 2006

> You know who doesn't have ethics? So-called piano brokers.
>
> They'll take a fee from the customer (who thinks the broker will
> have their best interests at heart), and steer the customer towards
> the seller who will pay them the highest commission. Double-dipping.
>
> These weasels are the scourge of the piano industry.

More than a few local dealers offer "sales commissions"
(bounty) to technicians if they refer successful sales to
them. I've known of techs stomping into dealerships and
demanding commissions after finding that one of "their"
customers bought a piano from the dealer. When a tech refers a
prospect to a dealer expecting a sales kickback, both the tech
and the dealer lose credibility. Talk to someone who took what
they assumed was the honest advise of their trusted tech, and
later found out it was a paid endorsement. I have, when they
called me after dumping their old tech. They have no faith at
all in their purchase either, and ask a lot of "Did I get
ripped, and how badly?" questions. Some years back, there was
a company in this area that offered a "public service" of
safe, qualified referrals to consumers for plumbing,
carpentry, appliance repair, etc. The advertising thrust was
that the referral came pre-qualified, time tested, and was
reputable and reliable. Like a recommendation from dear old
dad. Safe as lead underwear. The referrees, naturally, were
anyone at all who paid monthly subscription fees to be on the
referral list, which pretty much guaranteed a high percentage
of lower life forms. The trusting consumer was then handed
over to whichever subscriber was next up on the list for
feeding and, as usual, took the hit. Plenty of weasels to go
around, no waiting.

Ron N