Hearing Loss and Piano Tuning

John Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Fri May 5 19:36:07 MDT 2006

Julia,

I thought that at first, but wouldn't be without my musicians plugs. If
you're beginning, your ear/mind isn't as sensitive as when you have several
years and/or hundreds of pianos under your belt.  I remember when I first
tried some of Diane's plugs at my first PTG convention. They were the first
plugs I ever tried during tuning. I thought, NO WAY will I wear these b/c it
cut the sound level down to where it was hard to hear the beats. But I was a
novice then at aural tuning, and since then, have become more sensitive to
what we're listening for. For me now, the beats are as clear if not clearer
with my plugs than without them.

Mine are Westone custom molded, with ER 15 filter buttons. I'll probably buy
the 25 dB filters as well because I'd like the extra protection on occasion.

John Formsma

  _____