Question from a rank amatuer

Christopher Thomas cthomas at RTKL.com
Sat May 6 23:14:32 MDT 2006

It was actually the early notion of mass production that first interested me in this piano. It is not unlike similar currents that were happening in the world of architecture at the same time.

At first, I thought this piano had had quite a hard life. The top was ripped from its hinges, splintering the veneer and internal laminations of the sides. The interior was filled with such an array of dirt, food and other items (including a full pack of pokeman cards) that it reminded me of the space under the seats of my '60 rambler in high school.

Having repaired the cabinet, I have been pleasantly surprised that all of the keys and action appear to be in good working order: nothing broken, warped, jerry-rigged, etc. The more I look at it, the more I think its hard life was merely the last ten years.

Any information any of you all have about the workings of this piano I would be beholden to. The wippen is unlike any diagram I find in any book, so figuring out what to do is always an interpolation of something else.

Thanks all

Chris Thomas

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org on behalf of Andrew and Rebeca Anderson
Sent: Sat 5/6/2006 10:50 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: RE: Question from a rank amatuer

I tuned a '29 Brambach baby G Friday.  Had a really sweet tone, no beats in the treble.  All rear stringing unbraided.  Weird whippens, the balancier stopped short of the jack and had a big bolstered leather pad, teflon anyone?  Someone had re-whatevered it to about 1/4"+/- dip and the action wasn't cycling.  Luckily only the white keys and it was quick work to pull the card stock.
The damper underlevers were all resting on the keys and with some twenty years weren't doing too good a job of damping too (felt compacted and not reaching the strings as well).  The hammers had been nicely filed and the stroke was 2" +/- and let-off over 1/4".  Only had time to do so much after a huge pitch correction.  At least with 3/8" dip the hammers no longer bobbled off of the jacks on soft playing.

The rim is quite thin.  I did a large overpull tuning like I do on a D and than voiced the rear terminations and bearings, did another overpull tuning and then worked on the action and voiced the front terminations.  I had to do yet another overpull tuning with the pitch 5-8 cents flat.  Sure is gratifying when a dull sounding piano comes alive like that and becomes playable.

Now to get back there and re-time the dampers.  With timing that early it felt rather heavy.

Andrew Anderson