[Files] Key Bushings - Again

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 9 04:05:53 MDT 2006

Rather than removing the caul, I use a rotary razor blade (available in
fabric stores & Pianotek) with the caul in place immediately upon insertion
of the felt and caul. Works like a charm.

If you soak the bushings well, you shouldn't remove any wood. I use a 50/50
mix of alcohol and water and put little felt squares in the mortise between
the bushings to hold the moisture in there. Let the water to the work for
you - several hours - if the bushings are not falling out, they are not
ready yet!

And then use Spurlock's mortise sizing cauls and let dry overnight, etc.

Terry Farrell