[Files] Fw: 6 pictures for you

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Thu May 11 11:39:29 MDT 2006

A little Protek at the pressure bar and V bar,

I would set A4 to 440 (tuning unisons as you go), then tune A3, A2, A1, A5, A6, A7 etc. as octaves.
Then retune A4 to A440, tune D4 from that and all the D's up and down.
Retune A4, tune E4, and octaves
Recheck D4, tune G3, and Gs up and down, etc.

My theory is that each string HAS to be tuneable to pitch, but not necessarily to as much overpull as a one-pass raise would require. Doing fast octaves, as above, will distribute tension evenly across the plate and bring it up enough that a normal pitch raise procedure, and a tuning pass or two should put the piano in good shape without inordinately stretching those poor old strings.

How's the bass tone? While they are already so flat, banging them a few times to loosen the crud may help tone.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri