Birdcage tuning

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Fri May 12 22:14:49 MDT 2006

Birdcage tuning with strip mutes can be a breeze.  Pull back or take
out the action (quicker to do with birdcages than contemporary actions)
and strip mute below the strike line from the tenor section all the way
to the top.  Replace the action.   I also like to strip mute the bass
above the damper assembly because of the leaky dampers.  Then I tune
all the middle strings, remove the strip mutes and tune the outer
strings using a Papp's mute.  No need for a lamp to see where you are -
moving the Papp's mute along, across the unisons, tells me exactly
where I am.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440