Excel trendline

william ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Mon May 15 05:47:25 MDT 2006

On May 15, 2006, at 1:11 AM, John Fortiner wrote:
> Ron:  The "smoothing" is simply a "rounding off" of values.
> Sometimes it
> rounds up and sometimes down depending on settings.  Sort of like
> saying the
> over tension is "about" 40k lbs on a piano.  That is a "smoothed"
> figure.
> It is totally impossible to derive an "exact" from that.  To derive
> the
> "exact" a person would have to have all the raw data to recalculate
> again.....

Of course the raw data is available one or two columns over. In the
program that I've always used for charting and statistical smoothing
(polynomial or otherwise), DeltaGraphPro ( http://www.rockware.com/
catalog/pages/deltagraphw.html ), the specific values are available
by copying the formula to another column, and then making a few quick
manual edits.

The process is the same as described by Ron. You tell the program
here is the column whose data was smoothed, and here is the formula
(including such specifications such as the polynomial degree, the
number of bezier nodes used to draw the curve, and whether or not
point on the x-axis, say #0,#89 and#90, which have y-axis value of 0,
should be allowed to skew the curve.) You then ask the program to
return the y-values of each x-axis increment as it intersects the
curve-fit.

Of course, my math skills take an irreversible hop from the left
brain to the right, somewhere soon after the basic concepts of the
integral and differential (....never did figure out what makes "e"
such a useful benchmark in higher mathematics, even though I once
read an entire popular math book on it .....).

Mr. Bill