The pitch raise speech (Ok, ladies may read it now)

Mark Schecter schecter at pacbell.net
Mon May 15 23:35:19 MDT 2006

Ron Nossaman wrote:
>> Now that I mention it, isn't a trapezoid a two-dimensional object?
>> (Google says: "A trapezoid is a quadrilateral (four-sided) geometric
>> figure having two parallel sides.")
>>
>> Geometry r not I. (Sorry!)
>>
>> -Mark Schecter
>

> Frustum - a truncated (not Polish) pyramid - a three dimensional trapezoid.
> Ron N

Ron,

Thank you so much! I love learning a new word I've never even heard of,
for something I've been using every day for most of my life. There is no
end to what there is to know!

 From wikipedia: "A frustum is the portion of a solid – normally a cone
or pyramid – which lies between two parallel planes cutting the solid.
..." In the case of the tuning pin, the sides of the truncated pyramid
are trapezoids with their tops and bottoms parallel, and sides (due to
the taper) therefore not parallel. I think three-dimensional trapezoid
sums it up beautifully. Thanks again.

-Mark Schecter