tuning pin bushings too big

JIMRPT at aol.com JIMRPT at aol.com
Tue May 16 08:45:54 MDT 2006

Bob;
 I am coming into this discussion rather late...if my thoughts have already
been expressed just consider them as another vote. :-)

 When I occasionally run into this problem what I do is sand down the bushing
to the correct size, or a more correct size if you will.
 I accomplish this on a 1 inch belt sander or my vertical inflatable sanding
drum.
 I take a hammer shank / dowel that fits well inside the bushing...not too
snug or too loose....install a stop made from another bushing on the dowel far
enough from one end to allow finger grip space at the end of the dowel where
the stop is...... I then turn this stop against the sanding belt until the
diameter is less than what I desire the bushings to be ........ then it is just a
matter of putting the bushing to be reduced on the dowel. holding the bushing
against the sanding belt at a slight downward angle ( toward the stop)... this
angle will cause the bushing being reduced to spin and reduce the outside
diameter to where you think it needs to be...... a coarser grit works better than
a finer grit. sounds time consuming but after you get the hang of it only ten
seconds or so per bushing is needed...... only a half to 3/4 an hour is needed
to do the entire set.
 Works for me.
Jim Bryant (FL)