Tuning Pin Bushings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue May 16 10:51:20 MDT 2006

Bob,
After the bushings have become "water-logged", they're ready to use. I
usually put six on a paper towel while I'm  rough measuring the wire.
That's sufficient time for the paper towel to soak up a major amount of the
excess S.R. Then I drive them into the plate and start stringing. When two
strings are on, I pull out six more. That's the sequence. BTW, I use
hemostats to get the bushings out of the S.R. Since it has Xzylol in it, I
don't want to handle them. I pick up the bushings, from the paper towel
with the Plate Bushing Punch, which is a snug fit. Drive them home with the
sledge and go for it. There will be a slight amount of S.R. that "squirts",
so were eye protection! Wipe up with paper towel. The slight amount of
PinDriving fluid that the bushing has soaked up, will allow the bushing to
"set up" around the tuning pin and retain a tight fit. Once the bushings
are in, I do swab the appropriate hole with Pin Driving Fluid, as well,
that way the pin block has a nice coating in the hole. Got it?

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I