tuning pin bushing geometry

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Wed May 17 11:37:35 MDT 2006

IMO It may be intentional but not nesessary.  I cap my Bolduc blocks with 6 mm
cap of very dense delignit bridge cap material to resist flag poling.  It is a
wonderful feel & tunes very well.  Leaning against the plate would just screw
that up.  Know what I mean?
  Dale

Dale wrote:
Dittos. Good suggestion.  I do this to many plates.
Especially Steinway to prevent the pins from possibly
leaning into the plate hole itself.
  Dale

Del wrote:
A good case can be made that this was intentional. I
wrote a blurb on this for the Journal several years
back. Complete with the geometry.
Del

Yes, Dale, I do know what you mean. But in the 1800s Steinway did not use
Delignit bridge cap stock either on their pinblocks or on their bridges. Hence
the design as we have it passed down to us today. Including a traditional tuning
pin drill angle that is obviously counterproductive but still widely used.

Del