Plane Repair

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Wed May 17 20:12:02 MDT 2006

Well, it is from the era with the 1910 patent date, and all other parts are
in great shape, japanning is great, no rust, very clean.  So, I'd like to
preserve the original handle if possible.  If not - well, it'll just be a
very nice user.

My only guess as to grain orientation is to prevent the nose of the handle
from breaking off and, more importantly, prevent the handle from breaking
where it extends onto the top of the sole.

William R. Monroe

> For all the time and effort it would take to fix the original handle, I'd
opt to make a new one, (out of Rosewood, of course), with the grain
orientation the right direction, (veritcally). For the life of me, I can't
figger why they chose that grain orientation!???? This is a common problem
with Stanley Planes. Unless it is a "collectable"/"Valuble" one, it'd be a
new handle. (Fancier, of course.<G>) > Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)