bridge top finish

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed May 17 23:20:14 MDT 2006

Lacquer.  No problems.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Bob Hull
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:36 PM
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: bridge top finish

I know some rebuilders are leaving the dag off of the
bridge tops.  Do you coat the top with some kind of
finish to slow down moisture transfer or just for
looks?  I have normally sprayed the bridge sides and
notches as I finished the soundboard and kept the
bridge cap taped off.

I'm wondering how well a finish will hold up under the
pressure of the strings.  Some finishes, like lacquer,
it seems, might crack.   - Didn't have to consider
that with Dag.

Bob Hull