PVC-E glue and Keytops

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Fri May 19 17:19:20 MDT 2006

The way I do it, is. I put the glue on the prepared keys, 7 at a time,
using a brush. Place the tops in place.
Then I put the glue on the following 7, and place the tops in place.
I then go back to the first 7, and confirm they are in the proper
position, as they can still be moved.
Then put the glue on the next 7, and go through the same procedure.
I do not clamp them.
I do however, once they are all in place, make sure to remove any glue
from the key surface, as it comes off with a damp cloth.
I have started with the first glued ones, and use a 1" or now 2" belt
sander, and bring them close.
I finish off by hand filing the notch, and dressing the edges. I use a
vice with a soft face toward the keytop. I just glued a piece of packing
leather, on a plastic jaw insert.
It has worked well for me.
I keep on meaning to get a jig, as shown in the Journal, and use my
router. Something tells me I won't get it made. :-)
As to whether it is the 'proper' way, I don't know.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca