How To Choose an ETD was ... something else

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Sun May 21 12:09:42 MDT 2006

> Hi Ed,
>
> I disagree. If an ETD is used properly it may lead a "student" to become a
> very high skilled aural assisted technician far more quickly. "Tools are
> Tools".
>
> At 06:59 AM 5/21/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> A beginner who starts relying on an ETD will probably not become a highly
> skilled aural tuner.
>> So consider the value of continuing to trust and develop your aural skills.
>> Ed Sutton
>
> Regards,
> Don Rose,

Folks---note the difference; Don says "if used properly,"  Ed says "who
starts relying on" the ubiquitous ETD.  And there's the rub: I believe it's
up to the individual, and his/her mentor, the degree to which the student,
from the beginning, replaces or augments the function of the ear with the
machine.

If the machine is actually used as a teaching tool---to SHOW somebody
visually how close or far they are from ideal, and let their body note that
info---then  I say what an incredible tool; what an ear and perception
enhancer.

If, however, the machine is used as a substitute for
listening, as something like paint-by-the-numbers, where you're just filling
in where you're told to, I believe it can hurt an essential learning
function of the students' body and being; further, I think it
can---CAN---lead to a steady lessening of the students' ability to truly
listen with the whole body in a relaxed way, which, to me, is the
fundamental component of doing world-class piano work.

If you're a young (or young at heart) passionate, committed student if piano
technology, why wouldn't you want to learn how to use your ears in the most
taxing, intimate, and focused way? You would, if you wanted to wring the
maximum benefit from your learning.  That's why I believe every serious
student of piano technology who wants to be a working, every-day pianotech
will be best served by learning how to tune a piano with ears only.

I think it's better from a self-esteem or confidence POV as well; you know
you can go anywhere in the world, with just you and a lever and a tone
source, and tune any piano.  It means something psychologically.
The idea is to build your skillset, and the sense of power and
accomplishment that comes with that, until you "feel" like a total pro to
the world at large, and you can, by telling the truth, hold the reins of
most every work situation you find yourself in.

Just some thoughts on a gorgeous Sunday AM in SoCal.....

My best to everyone....

David Andersen

P.S.  I'M GETTING EXCITED ABOUT ROCHESTER ....OOOHHHHH.....