Concert Tuning & Prep Sequence: How it Went

Rick Bazemore tunericks at yahoo.com
Sun May 21 17:49:04 MDT 2006

I raised the question a few weeks back how to most effieciently go about a Concert Tuning for a Dino concert - here's how it went:

  At first, the piano was to be a Yamaha C7 that hadn't been touched in 3-5 years.  The next week I was told by the church music director that they had decided to rent a Steinway Concert D rather than using the C7 - "Whew! big relief".  So, I go ahead with original plans to tune once on Friday (which was now unnecessary) and then returned on Saturday to retune after high school graduation ceremony ending at 3:45 PM (Dino's sound check was scheduled at 4 PM).  Soon got word that Dino had decided to let his support staff handle the sound check and that I could use the time from 4-6 PM to work on the piano, so I just decided to retune since some of the unisons had drifted.  Turns out that Dino did not even touch the piano until the first number of his concert.  I stayed for the entire event and the tuning held very well in spite of his very aggressive playing.  Several folks around me learned I was the "tuner" and some even complimented me on my work.  So, I count the whole
 event a success and now will be less nervous next time a concert tuning opportunity comes my way.

  Thanks to those of you who gave advice and suggesstions, your input is always appreciated with this "now-not-so-new-newbie".

Rick Bazemore, RPT
Social Circle, GA
www.pianosintune.com