How To Choose an ETD was ... something else

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Mon May 22 05:01:57 MDT 2006

Ed Foote wrote:Why not do one's best aural tuning on a given instrument and
then
store it in the SAT?  The scaling differences, and the tuning that optimizes
them,  between same model/makes of all the better brands of pianos are so
small as
to be undetectable without specifically looking for them, and totally off
the
radar in musical playing for 99% of listeners and performers.    And if an
instrument is 4 cents off pitch, a well-executed tuning with a stored tuning
on
the SAT will be far closer to optimum than an aural guess in the same amount
of time.

Ed,
Couldn't agree more. This is what I do with my most important instruments
which get tuned on a continual basis.  IMO, this is how good aural skills,
combined with the accuracy of a good ETD, live in concert.
Tom Servinsky, RPT

       The other aspect is consistency.  It will be a rare tuner that can
come within one cent of their previous tuning on every note!  This is
important
when overdubbing in recording situations, or when a customer wants another
tuning exactly like the last.