Suppliers at Rochester

Dave Davis davistunes at yahoo.com
Wed May 24 07:58:36 MDT 2006

I just looked at the list on the website, and it's the same list that was posted early in the year, even before we received the hard-copy brochure in the mail. Personally, when I need a tool or supplies, I look in the catalogs and order it. If I want to see or feel it, I check with other techs and get input from their tools.  I have never gotten bad information from someone who liked or disliked a certain tool preference. After a few years of ordering tools, I know that some suppliers offer better quality than others. For instance, I have a really cool screwdriver that I bought from Jurgen that wasn't offered from other suppliers. It was expensive, but I use it daily and it was worth the money. (Speaking of Jurgen, I believe he posted a note here a few weeks ago that he'll be in Rochester with a fresh load of goodies from Europe.)

I attend conventions/conferences/seminars with the express purpose of continuing education and networking with other techs, rebuilders, and piano manufacturers. If I did not benefit from continuing education, as it appears some don't from the responses I've seen, then I would spend the registration and hotel money on plane fare to visit the suppliers at their head offices. Surely they don't bring their entire inventories to the convention. And speaking of money, after I've purchased plane fare, hotel room, food, and registration fees, I don't have much of a tool budget left. I guess that puts me in a different category than some, so maybe my views aren't pertinent to this conversation. Okay, never mind.

Dave Davis, RPT

From: Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
My flight is already booked and I am going mainly for
the classes but I also learn a lot from the exhibit
area and well stocked tool suppliers.

If the PTG had made it known that the major usual tool
and supply houses would not be present it would have
possibly impacted registration numbers.  This is now
going to put a damper on things.  A few years ago
didn't Renner notify us that they wouldn't be present
due to the holiday conflict?

If they did have to pay NY and Rochester sales tax it
would still be better than not seeing the products at
all.

--- "John M. Formsma" <john at formsmapiano.com> wrote:
> I just went to the Exhibits & Sponsors page on
> ptg.org, and verified what
> you wrote. Hmmmm, I was hoping to buy a lot of tools
> there, and am now
> disappointed that they won't be there. :-(
>
> I'm still excited about going, though.
>
> Maybe someone from PTG HQ has some info...I'm
> curious.
>
> John Formsma

 On Behalf Of Greg Newell