What's It Worth?

Alan Barnard tune4u at earthlink.net
Thu May 25 09:16:41 MDT 2006

I once analyzed and considered this question for several days. The results of my pondering?

I would NEVER under any circumstances pay anyone, ever, for any client list. I believe it has almost no value, whatsoever.

Wow!

In any business, a customer or client list has only limited loyalty to the company. If the company changes---especially if the company is one person---ALL of that loyalty instantly disappears. The new owner (or in this case, any new tuner) must build his own lists and loyalties and referrals one customer at a time.

There was a piano store, Baldwin dealer, in my little town for four generations. They offered to sell to me. No, thanks, says I: Your piano business is supporting your small, dying retail business and I don't want to sit in a building trying to sell guitars and such against much larger stores not too far away and against the growing Internet.

But, says them, you'd get our piano customer list! Whoop-di-doo. No thanks.

They sold to a non-piano person who really wanted to sit there and sell guitars---no real interest in learning the piano tech line. He went under chop-chop.

Meanwhile I, who really do not advertise in any way other than business cards and word of mouth, have gradually built up a base of customers as loyal as can be expected, i.e., some very loyal, some casually loyal, some fickle, and a few whom I'll probably never see again. And my list includes many from the old piano shop.

Moral: If you leave town, the other piano guys will QUICKLY gobble up your list. And someone who paid you for a sneak peak---even with aggressive telemarketing to announce "Ta Daa" that you are in business---will have very little advantage.

Sorry, that's how I see it. In another business life, I used to share an office building with a business brokerage firm and they flat told me: A purely service or consulting business has no real value beyond it's tangible, physical assets---and even they must be discounted severely to attract a buyer.

Now I know that some have sold and others have purchased tuning businesses, and I think it would be great if they'd share their thoughts and experiences. But from what I learned, and from my own experience, I wouldn't pay dime.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri