Clicking drop screws on a new Steinway

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Fri May 26 07:02:42 MDT 2006

David,
I was going to ask about the climate the piano is in now with several
items loose.  With the details it looks more like a mixed bag.
The Steinway parts list has this:
005151 ACTION FRAME LETOFF RAIL BORED - A/B EA 54.00
There is another part that includes the buttons for more but labor costs too!
009073 ACTION FRAME W/LETOFF BUTTONS - A/B EA 292.00
You are still stuck with regulating them all into position but that
does make more sense than running all the old ones out of the old
rail and then into the new rail.  I haven't tried it, but removing
the rail and running thinned lacquer down by all the screws might
tighten things up and weatherize the wood.  Perhaps it won't flow in
easily.  I'd be worried about broken drop screws with CA (I'd
definitely remove the rail for a CA treatment too).

Keep us apprised of the solution and then how it holds up.

Andrew Anderson