ETDs, PCs, PDAs & cellphones vs tuning fork : how accurate are they ?

Philippe Errembault phil.errembault at skynet.be
Sat May 27 00:55:29 MDT 2006

Geoff

> OK, I won't say you're wrong. But I do disagree.
Lol ;-)

Are you suggesting there is some kind of phase locked loop to synchronise
the D/A converter on the data rate ?
Well, you probably are right, I don't know, and by the way, American cell
phones are not the same technology as european GSMs... but ok, let's assume
both have such a system. A PLL device is not perfect : because of the
filtering involved between the phase comparator and the voltage controled
oscillator, it might have good precision on the long term, but being
slightly frequency modulated is such a way that you don't hear it, but it
makes it not accurate enough for tuning.

On the point of the clicks (and not point and click*) you should hear, since
I don't know the size of the buffer on a cell phone, nor the sampling rate,
it's rather difficult to calculate, but don't forget that to hear a click,
you need you signal to be interrupted in an audible way. if you remove
(approximately) one or more entire period of a sine wave, you will just hear
(nearly) nothing. Now, if your D/A converter is slightly too fast, you could
have blanks inserted from time to time instead of clicks, but because of
interpolations that might be involved in the process, this blank might also
go unnoticed. don't forget that to make a one cent error would lead to only
one packet added or dropped every 1730... this is not much.... will you hear
it ?
* : I'm not even sure my sentence was correct, so this playing on word might
as well be completely rotten ;-)

I don't know... you might as well be right, but those are the reasons why I
just wouldn't be too confident in it... that's why I suggested someone to
test it.

Philippe