Need to find someone who can repair a broken plate

Christopher Witmer cdwitmer at spamcop.net
Sat May 27 08:58:42 MDT 2006

I cannot point to any clear cause of the plate break. The piano was
never dropped that I know of, but it may have been dropped at some point
without my knowledge. At the time the plate broke it had been sitting in
the same spot for years and had been maintained by one of Japan's best
tuner/technicians. I suspect there was a defect -- or at least the
potential for a defect to develop -- in the plate from the very
beginning, perhaps exacerbated by other factors over time. I heard that
the manufacturer had been experiencing problems with their plate
supplier, but I don't know if the problems were related to quality or
something unrelated (such delivery time issues, etc.). In any case, even
if the problem was inherent in the plate from the time of manufacture, I
am aware that no brand of piano is immune to such problems. It is just a
sad fact of life when dealing with cast iron.

But when it happens to one's only piano -- one that the owner can't
afford to replace -- suddenly harpsichords, fortepianos and other
keyboard instruments that don't go "Bang!" in the middle of night start
to look a lot more appealing!

Chris Witmer
Tokyo