Grand pianos and their designations.

Vinny Samarco vinsam at hughes.net
Sat May 27 07:04:02 MDT 2006

Hi Everyone,
    When dealing with customers about grand pianos, I have two questions:
When someone  says to me, I have a grand  piano that is 6 foot, 1 inches,
etc. where do they measure to get those figures?
The second question is: is the term "baby grand" just a commercial
product-selling term (like upright grand which has no meaning)
with a specific length, or should we talk to our customers about small
grands, and large grands?

Thanks for your help.
Vinny Samarco