Grand pianos and their designations.

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun May 28 08:18:19 MDT 2006

I have found that many lay people have the understanding that there is a
fundamental design difference between a baby grand and a grand - i.e. much
like the difference between a spinet and an upright. They seem to think that
there are three basic types of pianos - verticals, grands and baby grands.
They often appear very surprised to hear that the term baby grand refers
only to size and that there are not any fundamental design differences
between baby grand and a grand - other than size.

Terry Farrell