- All the Action Geometry Buffs

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 30 06:19:54 MDT 2006

Indeed. Assuming the sharps are at a functionally good level (don't assume anything), adjust the natural key height so that the tops come out to the proper height. When going from ivory to plastic, wood is typically removed from the top of the key body to maintain original height. When going from plastic to ivory, you may need to laminated a veneer of wood to the keystick.

Was the keystick planed down for the plastic tops? Sometimes (more often that I like) the #$%& who put the plastic keytops on did not plane the keysticks down to maintain original keytop height.

Keytop height is just like action regulation: Let the piano tell you what is correct.

Terry Farrell