- All the Action Geometry Buffs

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue May 30 08:00:29 MDT 2006

I just had an idea. Why remove the entire top? If they are securely glued,
perhaps you could remove only the thickness of your ivory from the plastic.
This would leave the final height alone (or very close) and would provide a
nice white base for your ivory.

One method I have of removing keytops is sawing them on the table saw. I set
the fence so that it cuts off the thickness of the new top. This of course
removes the desired amount of wood at the same time. One could just as
easily set the fence so that it only cuts the thickness of your ivory. In
your case this would not remove all of the plastic. I suspect you would have
to use a pretty fine tooth blade to keep from chipping out the plastic.

You could also use a router table set up with a jig that securely holds the
key upside down using a spiral bit.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272