Universal Bass String question

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Wed Nov 1 06:34:03 MST 2006

Terry wrote:

John's method may work fine - I've never tried it, but I will next time.
What I do is apply vice grips like I described above (not so tight as to
deform the copper windings), unwind the few inches like John said. But then
I pull the copper winding straight off the string - straight out parallel
and on the same line as the core. If you play around with this a few times,
suddenly you will find that you can induce this totally funky revolving
motion of the core (it looks like an airplane propeller in motion in the
shape of a cone) that increases as you pull harder but it lets the copper
unwind extremely easy. I know I'm not describing the motion well - it's
something that you have to experience before you know what I am talking
about. But it makes using universals fun - it's a game I play when I use
them. I know I'm making no sense - but try it - just pull straight out when
you have thin copper windings - the core will automatically go into this
funky motion - it's a hoot!

I use Terry's method as well. First I use diagonal pliers to "cut" where I
want the coils to stop. I do this by squeezing firm enough to cut the copper
but not mark up the steel core and twisting the pliers around the diameter.
This will usually cut the copper, but if not, it weakens it enough so that
when the unwinding happens it will break at that point. Then I start
unwinding off the end until I get the tail a couple of inches long. You can
hold the other end with vice grips, I just lay it on the floor and put my
foot on it. When the tail is about two inches long I stop trying to peel it
off the core, but I continue to rotate it in the direction of unwinding.
You'll get the effect that Terry describes above. The whole winding will
start to turn and loosen till it eventually makes its way down to where
you've cut. When that happens it is loose enough to pull right off the end.

For the hitch pin end you just have to unwind the whole length that needs to
come off. John's method is a good one.

Blessings,

Dean

  _____