Player rant

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Nov 1 06:55:28 MST 2006

>I guess my problem
> is that my mind boggles that two techs, one in the business here for
> over 25 years and the other for about 8 were stumped with this.
>
> Sigh,
> Debbie

Sigh indeed. So many times. I can only be amazed when I find
something like a jack center pin walking out and hanging up on
the adjacent flange, and the front key bushing eased to the
point that it clacks against it's neighbors. Some techs have
20 years experience, while others seem to have had one month's
experience 240 times.

Players are just another layer of bafflement to most. I used
to do a lot of them, but these days it's rare for someone to
be willing to spend the money it takes to do it right, even
for a decent reproducer, and unheard of for uprights. I do
actually have a Fischer Ampico A in the shop getting the piano
rebuilt (no player work on this one, but soundboard and
bridges), and a Knabe Ampico A grand scheduled for Spring,
that's getting the works, including a soundboard and bridges.
Not that I mind, but it is unusual.

Know anyone interested in buying an unrestored 6' Weber
Dou-Art? I could use the space.
Ron N