loose front rail pins

Joseph Alkana josephspiano at comcast.net
Wed Nov 1 16:09:56 MST 2006

I urge those that use CA on front rail pins to not use the thinnest CA available. My reasons are as follows:

1) If the pins are so loose that they rotate too readily, then the thin glue will surely flow clear through to the other side, maybe even getting on the punchings and felt or up into the key bushings. (Assuming you're looking for an expedient method, rather than total disassembly)
2) Because the pin is smooth, more glue will wick along the pin, as opposed to how it behaves on tuning pins. Possibility of frozen pins will occur. A medium viscosity glue will just grab the first few mm of wood and pin, leaving you or the next technician a choice in how to proceed later with the proper refurbishment of the rail/pins.

Joseph Alkana RPT