Wurlitzer C173 (Young Chang) - lifting logo

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Wed Nov 1 19:11:29 MST 2006

Nice mahogany C173 Wurlitzer (5'9"), S/N 60,600, with a couple of
puzzlements (I have no answers).

-- Samick says it's not theirs.  Any idea of the age?  Pierce has no help.
It has a white paper barcode label underneath.

-- It's been in New Mexico for at least nine years.  No humidity control,
but no sign of problems, either, except... the soundboard logo is detached,
most of the way around its outside edge, as much as an inch in.  Flat, not
curled up, and just angled up from the s/b.  Was there no original varnish
overcoat?  How to attach it now?  I'm thinking of adhesive that I spread
around with pressure on the decal from my Spurlock cleaning tools.  What
kind?

-- On the caster cups on thinnish carpet, it wobbles back and forth, fore
and aft, with rapid use of the sustain pedal.  The casters are angled 45
degrees in front, 90 degrees at the tail.

-- E5 wouldn't repeat sometimes.  It felt like the jack wasn't reset, but
lifting the jack tail made no difference; it didn't move at all.  Rep lever
height is fine; rep spring tension brisk; jack is centered in the window.
Knuckle was a little flat, but not much.  I thought maybe the backcheck was
grabbing on the way up, but with pressure on the hammer, the jack just
cheated out from under the knuckle.  I reset the jack starting position
towards the piano's tail, a 1/16" or so, and that fixed the problem, but I'm
not happy that it's out of line with all the rest when you lift the hammers.
What else should I try?

Thanks,

--Cy--
www.shusterpiano.com