Bolduc Plate Flipper

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Nov 3 09:04:32 MST 2006

At 07:38 AM 11/3/2006 -0700, you wrote:

>David,
>
>I struggled with locating the plate puller on a Stnwy D plate and an SD10
>and finally called Christian B to find out if it was possible.  It is
>possilbe, but a bit awkward.  He suggests putting a couple of boxes of
>tuning pins at the rear of the plate to counter-balance it.  This works
>OK, but the placement of the puller puts it in a position where it
>contacts the bridge.  Perhaps one could get the counter-balance weight in
>such a position as to locate the puller to not contact the bridge, but I
>decided not to use it because it seems a bit risky to me.  What if the
>boxes of tuning pins fall off, etc.
>
>Terry,

>no safe way to accomplish this.  Using a strap, which is rated strong
>enough for the weight, through a blow hole, is much safer.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Michael

I use two moving straps on a single hook of a chain hoist and adjust the
strap lengths and threading through holes to be able to lift the plate level.

When I "flip" plates, after raising it flat, I put a strong sawhorse under
the pointy end and slowly lower it until the pinblock end is on the floor.
I then unhook one of the straps and raise the point until the plate is
hanging vertical, turn it around and lower the plate back down to the
sawhorse, then rehook only the pinblock end strap and raise it until I can
move a second sawhorse under that end.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.