Baldwin spinet repair?

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50 at peoplepc.com
Fri Nov 3 19:25:11 MST 2006

Came across this in a Baldwin spinet from the 60's.  I found the *repair* interesting.  It works but ....  It made the piano tunable but ....

I've seen one other Baldwin with a cracked plate in the exact same location.  That was in a 1960 Acrosonic.

To clarify a couple not so great photos - the plate crack runs through the hitch pin holes encompassing C#4 - F#4.  Those pins have been removed and relocated.  In the photo you can see the vacant holes and the crack is best seen between the left most holes.

The strut has been drilled so that the strings each have an individual hole to pass through to a new hitch pin location.  That "took care of" the first few unisons.  The remaining hitchpins were relocated to the bottom side of the top edge of the plate opening for the bass bridge.  The raised edge of the plate opening was drilled for the strings to pass through it.  Because of the bass strings and weird location of those hitch pins I couldn't get a pic of that.

Debbie