Baldwin 6000

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Nov 5 14:32:45 MST 2006

> Anybody have an opinion on the Baldwin 6000 (looks like a 52" or so
> upright)?  An aquaintance told me he was considering buying one--saying
> it had gotten excellent reviews (?)...I didn't ask him from whom.
> Personally, Baldwins have never been a favorite of mine, do these new
> ones have the really tight tuning pins?  Could anyone speak to the
> quality?  Does it have one of those goofy painted actions?

I have no idea what Baldwin is doing to pinblocks or actions
these days, but I would not expect any improvement in pin
torque ranges or uniformity. We don't have a surviving Baldwin
dealer in the area, so I haven't seen a new one in some time.
As far as the 6000 generally though, there are a few specific
design things. The bass is very unusual. In most pianos, the
strike point ratio goes from something like 1/16 - 1/12 in the
top end, tapering to around 1/8 somewhere in the middle, and
continuing that 1/8 clear through the bass. The 6000 continues
the ratio progression all through the low tenor and bass, down
to around 1/5 at A-0. People either like the result, or don't,
but most everyone notices it's different. The other thing is
the "tone extender", an aerospace brass mass load, on the low
tenor bridge end.

I kind of like the sound.

Ron N