Suzuki Pianos -- Anyone?

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 7 16:34:40 MST 2006

Bruce,
These are cheap pianos which are sold in the shipping crate they came
from China in.  The parts are loosely assembled.  Figure at least 20
hours labor to go through the all the action at least three times to
get it working properly.  Insist on the customer opening the crate at
least two days (if it wasn't set up on its legs) before you come to
acclimate.  Plan on easing keys and working on a lot of tight action centers.

OK beginner pianos when compared to the century old pianer that is
falling apart in the corner.  These are essentially priced as
unprepped pianos and the customer has to plan on paying the
technician the going rate ~$1500.00+ to turn them into a working
"instrument".  If the customer is willing to think longevity, quality
etc. they would be far better off buying a better piano.  The new
Petrofs offer great bang for the buck (but may need more prep then
the dealer does to be as steller as they can be).

I've been called in to tune a totally unprepped Steinway B by a proud
owner.  When I tried to play it after tuning I stopped.  Told the
owner it need a complete regulation to make it playable (everything
was wrong with it, had to fix some dampers so I could tune).  The
owner was flabbergasted.  The salesperson told them they were buying
the best piano on the market and he never called me back.  I pity the
poor kids trying to learn how to play piano on that dead Mack
truck.  Not too many factories prepping their own pianos these days.

Andrew Anderson