Recording

soundsgreatmusic at sbcglobal.net soundsgreatmusic at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 9 07:41:05 MST 2006

There are many ways to mike a piano and they all depend on the situation and application. Are you going to record the piano as well as amplify it? Does the pianist use a monitor which could limit the gain before feedback structure? I there an overall high stage spl? I would certainly use a condenser mic but I'm not certain the Beta 91 has the nuance for a great piano mike because the pattern might be too tight. I'm sure it sounds great in a kick drum. Audix has a very nice arrangement using 2 of it's SCX25 mikes. There are a lot of products that would work fine (look into the new Kawai system), but placement is the key with any of them so plan to spend some time finding the sweet spot.
Chuck Vetter