wasted CA on grand pinblock

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Thu Nov 9 23:29:21 MST 2006

  -----Original Message-----
  From: William R. Monroe [mailto:pianotech at a440piano.net]
  Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 5:59 AM
  To: dnereson at 4dv.net; Pianotech List
  Subject: Re: wasted CA on grand pinblock

  Dave,

  How much CA did you use?  It's about $10 for 2 oz., (and as I
wrote earlier, I'd rarely use that much for an entire block) not
real expensive in my book, if it can keep an instrument tunable
till a rebuild is possible (or the piano is junked for other
reasons).

         Yes, I did use almost an entire 2 oz. bottle.  I'm just
frustrated with buying CA glue and having it set-up solid in the
bottle before you even get to use it all, and it's considerably
more costly than other glues.
      Anyhow, yes, I probably used too much and that's why it
leaked out and dripped down the flange.  I did use a hypo oiler,
but you can't really tell how much is going in there.  The pins
had all been driven in already, so the coils were quite close to
the plate.  I didn't want to glue the coils to the tuning pins
or the strings to the plate, so I held the tip of the oiler
right down in the hole.  Aside from how fast the bottle is
emptying, you can't really tell how many drops per pin are
flowing out.