Oops!..re oversized butt/shank holes

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 10 10:40:37 MST 2006

Big OOPS! (see below) I meant Back Catches NOT Back Checks! (I've always
gotten those two mixed when talking about them...grrr)

"How much wiggle room?
Some wiggle room is normal to allow you to align the hammers to the strings
when you glue them in.

Yeah, right! A far more important alignment is the backchecks....hence the
"wiggle room". The butts should be installed...then the shanks...wiggle
them while the glue is setting and get them to align with the original
backcheck and to have the shanks parallel with the original samples. Think
in 3 dimensions when doing this job. Once all the shanks/ backchecks are in
the proper alignment,....THEN the hammers are installed .....to the proper
strike point and the proper "rake"."

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I