Mentor in Huntsville?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Nov 13 10:51:40 MST 2006

I didn't make my comment as a political one and I do think it belongs on the
list because it speaks to the issue of employees generally.  This is a
different thing than working with one's father in the shop.  In this case
there are a couple of issues:  One is compliance, and laws governing the
employment of children are strict and came about because of a history of
abuses by employers.  Secondly, there is the issue of liability for the
employer and safety for the child.  In this business with all kinds of power
tools and other things that are capable of inflicting serious injury, you
would not want to open yourself up to a potential lawsuit or a life changing
injury for the minor child.

While thumbing your nose at what seem like burdensome and unnecessary laws
is often tempting, most were put in place for a reason.  Doing somebody a
favor in exchange for one might on the surface seem like a good thing but
there are potential downsides which should be carefully considered.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com