Drilling into Polyester - retry

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue Nov 14 10:45:50 MST 2006

At 08:29 AM 11/14/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>Conrad,
>Thanks for the pics. My appology for the terminology error, I am talking
>rear support bracket (it is a hinge as well). About 9" long by 1" wide,
>stands relatively veritcle and it folds back onto itself to allow the
>music rack to lay flat or to be supported by it.
>I see some SS with it and some without. Do not have any idea about years
>and models. I may have a problem adapting this bracket to a music rack
>that was never designed for one.
>Gene

I've had to retrofit brackets on shelves which fold toward the keys, never
had them originally and have never been very happy about it. You can do it,
and it will support the rack, but when you go to close the instrument you
find that the support arm of the bracket won't lay flat. It will angle up
to the bottom of the rack and, depending on how close the bracket hinge is
to the rack, you might find the bracket arm digging into the lid as you
close it. If you try to outsmart the bracket by folding it back away from
the keys, it wants to dig into the dampers...

If the piano is _never_ going to be closed, you'll be OK. Your customer
should be aware of those unintended consequences, however.

This style of rack (on a 1960's L) folds back away from the keys and has a
multipart bracket but, as you can see, it too can be stressed and bent.