< 90 degrees at impact

ed miller edmiller3 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 17 13:40:47 MST 2006

List,

I am installing new butts, shanks, and hammers into an old Knabe upright.
The replacement butts I bought are Tokiwa. I didn't think much about the
fact that these butts are made in Japan, and Knabe is an American upright.
The "actual size" photo of this particular Tokiwa butt in the catalog
matched best with the old Knabe butts that I am replacing.

However, the one dimension you cannot see in the photos of the catalogs is
the exact location that the shank hole is bored into the butts- they only
show a profile. Herein lies the nature of my question:

I lined a new Tokiwa butt and shank up in the action, side by side, next to
the old butt/shank/hammer. It turns out that the placement of the shank-hole
in the  new Tokiwa butt is a little over 1/16th of an inch closer to the
strings than the old butt. This puts the hammer and shank at a different
pitch resting on the hammer rail, and more importantly at impact with the
strings.

With these new butts, the hammer will make impact with the strings just
BEFORE is reaches a 90 degree angle (assuming the original geometry of the
butt/shank/hammer to string dimensions did so). Will this be a problem?????

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Ed