Sudden damper buzz syndrome

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 19 10:06:54 MST 2006

Just one of the reasons I like tapering damper timing from the deep
bass to the treble at about a 1/64" per section (bass earliest off,
latest down).  Covers all the fuzzies down to the deep bass.
If that piano was far out of tune it would have been dull or lifeless
sounding.  Once in tune it would be very live and energetic sounding
and all its non-tuning-related obnoxious warts prominent and
annoying.  I play after tuning to check for these and then note them
in my service record recommending: regulation as needed, voicing
(usually needed), and new damper felt occasionally needed.  I have a
little written discussion about complete piano service noting that
after tuning a lot of other issues may become easy to hear and that
adjusting pitch on a piano is only one of several maintenance items
needed to maintain a piano at its best.

A paint brush, medium bristle, brushed along the dampers sometimes
helps although I think it is a short-term solution.  With some care
this can be attempted after removing the action, engaging the damper
pedal and brushing through the strings.  Try several out before doing
too much hard-to-reverse damage.
Some you will just have to remove and file.  Those really should be
replaced.  If this is the correction make sure your customer knows
and understands that it was not tuning related and is a separate
maintenance issue or you will need to great expand your tuning rates
to cover such work.

Good luck,
Andrew Anderson