* Re: Sudden damper buzz syndrome

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Sun Nov 19 13:03:39 MST 2006

It's really funny that you suggest this. I recently had the "opportunity" to
sand down a soundboard in preparation for refinishing. It had just received
some shims to repair some cracks. Using a small electric palm sander I was
able to get into most places, and even relatively close to the edges around
the frame. But the job still involved quite a bit of hand sanding in the
tight spots. Right after I finished that project I retired my SonicCare
electric toothbrush and upgraded to a new Oral-B electric toothbrush. In
retrospect of the sanding job I was actually thinking of a way to convert
the SonicCare into an electric sander. I'm not sure I'm ready to try it for
the first time on dampers, however. Have you actually sanded dampers with an
electric toothbrush? Damper pads are pretty fragile.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles