Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Nov 19 14:30:45 MST 2006

Hi Calin

Dont misunderstand me.  I'm not directly disputing anything in your
paper.  I do have a few questions about some things for sure.  But thats
simply because this is unknown stuff to me.  And because there is no
reference to any material to back up the statements you present as fact.

My comments have primarilly been directed to the form of your paper.
You write in the authoritive format.  When you do this you are obliged
to reference by way of footnotes any central statements of fact that
your reasoning and conclusions are drawn on.  Thats just standard essay
stuff.  If you dont... readers will just wonder where / if  you can
substantiate these claims and the whole thing gets drawn into question.

If you dont have any documentation / measurements / etc... then its easy
to reword so as to make it clear that all this is based on assumptions
that need substantiating but that you feel you have good reason to
believe.  You more or less say this in your paragraph below.   But tho
you say you are not trying to present this as scientifically
demonstrated... you do indeed write in the authorative form.

As I said... it is interesting.  Tho I am unconvinced that you can show
your conclusions to be true, I am at the same time not willing or able
to  say they are not.

Cheers

RicB

Ric,

All the things I wrote are based on 3 things: my reasoning of what can
go on with such s device, what I heard in pianos with and without bridge
agraffes,
my own experiments with string terminations. So the whole article
represents my opinion. It is not based on the research of others because
I am not aware
of such research. Everybody is free to from his/her own opinion about
what I say, I'm not trying to present it as scientifically demonstrated,
just as something that
seems quite sensible and logical. I invite anybody who has such data or
did such research to tell us where it can be found.

Read below: