Article about bridge agraffes - function, types

Calin Tantareanu calin1000 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:03:01 MST 2006

I have seen this sometimes done by harpsichord makers who put a thicker wire
next to the bridge pins and let the strings bear on it, not directly on the
wood.
The effect is that the footprint of a string is increased, the termination
stiffness somewhat too, although not as much as with a proper agraffe.

Why would they do this if not to improve the sound? In the ones I've seen I
had the impression that it contributed to a better sustain and livelier
sound.

Calin Tantareanu
http://calin.haos.ro