Pramberger Grand

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Nov 21 08:51:46 MST 2006

>From my experience with inspecting new pianos for potential buyers, I would submit that "there may be problems that are not evident to either the buyer or seller" even with brand-new pianos. Like: major structural flaws such as cracked bridges, inverted soundboards, separating pinblocks, action geometry/weighting, etc., etc. I have done these inspections in stores with no troubles (sometimes I don't make any new friends in the piano industry!). And certainly, if I did have any relationship with the dealer (professional or otherwise), it would be appropriate to refer the inspection to another qualified piano technician.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: piannaman at aol.com
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 9:23 AM
  Subject: Re: Pramberger Grand

  Dave,

  While I'm not familiar with Prambergers, I've heard they are decent instruments.  Others on this list are undoubtedly more qualified to offer opinions on them.

  I do get a fair amount of requests for advice about new pianos.  It can be sticky, especially if you get any business from the store that's doing the selling.  If I know something about the instruments in question, I will offer advice on the phone or e-mail, or say "yea" or "nay" to models I am familiar with.  My policy is to NOT go into stores to look at new pianos for customers because I don't want to have to:  a). tell untruths to a customer b). mess up a potential deal for someone who gives me a fair amount of referral business.

  Used pianos are a different matter entirely.  There may be problems that are not evident to either the buyer or seller.  An evaluation by a qualified tech may save the customer many $ and headaches.

  Hope this helps,

  Dave Stahl