traveling brass rail butts

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Wed Nov 22 01:15:25 MST 2006

I've wondered the same thing.  Bending the shank doesn't de-travel the
wandering shank/butt assembly, although it does admittedly allow you to
make the hammer hit the strings instead of missing them, although with a
glancing blow.
	I tried gluing a little shim of tin foil (woops, dating myself; make that
aluminum foil)between the center pin and the brass tab on the appropriate
end of the center pin, and it actually worked, but was quite a hassle.
	You can take a parallel pliers from above, with the butt removed, and
carefully twist the tab in the direction it needs to go.  Only a tiny
bit! -- a few thousandths -- there's a risk you may break it off.  But
I've had success doing this.  It's guess work on how far to twist it.
	I've saved brass rails off old actions I've junked, and if a tab breaks
off, you can sometimes cut out that section, and cut a section from
another brass rail to use as a replacement.  A big hassle, but
whattayagonna do?
	--David Nereson, RPT